Last year I used to work in a central district of Moscow, and there was only one fitness club close to my work that offered a swimming pool. I was not able to make my way to it. Partially because commuting to office took about 40-50 minutes. You don’t have much time in a morning. You have to go about 500 meters to the fitness club, you spend there at least 1.5 hours, you go back to office and it takes 2 hours from your morning. I did this a couple of months, but this turned out to be unsustainable.
On top of that it was outrageously expensive. For a 1 year membership they charge not less than $1500 USD upfront. If you wanted to try it for 3 months, monthlywise it was even worse.
In Vancouver I go to an awesome fitness club in the very center of the city (5 minutes apart from the office): Robert Lee YMCA. Before you join there is a two-week trial period free of charge. Once you join, you pay $50 joining fee and pay $49 every month to attend. Could be cancelled at any time.
So, what do you get for $49*12 = $588 CAD? Well, it is almost anything you can imagine:
- 50 meters long swimming pool
- Warn pool with water streams
- Ton of state-of-art gym equipment.
- Nice cardio zone
- Personal locker
- More than 10 showers
- Steam rooms
- A basketball / athletics hall
- A bunch of classes like yoga, aerobics all this stuff free of charge. Subscribe and attend
- Parking lot
- Children play room (while you do your workout)
- Huge capacity. Literally hundreds of people can go there and not crowd the place out.
That’s fucking awesome!!! And you know what? Canadian dollar is cheaper than US dollar. So $588 CAD stands for ~$540 USD.
Can you beat this price in Moscow and deliver anything like this? No way.